Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Favorite Recipe


I really love salads. I really do. Maybe it has to do in part with how healthy they are, but they are just so good. They are fresh and big and can be made with a myriad of ingredients and done up differently every time. And they take a long time to eat too. And you don't feel guilty about having dessert, which I love to have. This is a current favorite of both me and Kelly. This is as a side dish, but you can add chicken and make it into a main dish. I took a few different versions of this salad and made this specific recipe. It is mostly inspired by my cousin, Natasha, who made a version of this in college. She used her mom's recipe (my aunt Cathy, who died almost 2 1/2 years ago) which is called "Selfish Salad". Since this isn't exactly the same, I didn't title it selfish salad, but it makes me think of my aunt, so I named it this.


Cathy's Cabbage Salad

★★★★★
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 0 hr 0 min | Makes: 4-6 servings | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:

Salad:

  • 1 package broccoli slaw*
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 package of chicken flavored ramen
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds

Dressing:

  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • 1 chicken ramen flavor packet
  • *You may also use shredded cabbage or slaw mix of your choice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400. Without opening the bag of ramen, break the noodles into small pieces. Place the dry noodles and almonds on a baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes, until they are golden brown. Chop the onions. In a large bowl place the salad mix, onions, and roasted ramen noodles and almonds. In a small bowl mix together the salad dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad and either refrigerate or serve, depending on your chosen temperature and how soggy you like the noodles to be.

No comments: