Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day...and Mother's Day


Happy Father's Day Dad!
I also say Happy Father's Day to my Grandpa McCuistion, my brothers, my father-in-law, brothers-in-law, and my dear husband who will someday be a dad. I also say thank-you to my Heavenly Father who blessed me with a wonderful family.

I won't be too cheesy, but I wanted to tribute this post to my Dad, Kim Hakes. I also tribute this post to my mom for a late Mother's Day post. I am not too eloquent with words, BTW. Enjoy, mom and dad!

When I was little, my dad taught me to jitterbug. Here we are doing it on my wedding day.

My Dad (and Mom) is the reason I was able to go to and graduate from college. He was so supportive, both financially and emotionally.

Dominoes, that and Mormon Bridge are classic games we played at home or at the cabin growing up. Dad and his mom, Grandma Hakes, often taught us how to play. The best part is when dad makes corny jokes and then says "the jokes never start" instead of "the jokes never stop."


This is one of my favorite memories of being home while Kelly was deployed. We just jumped into the car and went to see "Swing Vote" and then grabbed some pizza afterwards. Favorite memories with dad and the fam are going to see movies and eating out or BBQ at home. Dad is so easy-going about what we do.

My dad always treats my mom well. They are best friends, and they still hold hands when they go out! One of my favorite stories is even when they had 4 or 5 or so kids (they had nine total), they would still go to the hospital and look at the newborns through the window. They love kids and they love us!

Mom and her two grandaughters, Hailey and Julia. There are two more due this year. She is a wonderful grandma. I am always amazed at how she bonds with each grandkid. She even bonded with my cat when I was living at home, and she already had a cat. I think the best description is she has a mother heart.

Before I married kelly, I went to mom with most problems and frustrations. She is good at solving problems and she is very inspired. She was so understanding when Kelly was deployed and I was living at home again, which was weird at first. I also have fun with her when we go to curves or get cones or take walks. Growing up, I loved my summer "date" with mom. I also love getting together with my sisters and mom now. Love you, mom.

I also want to say that I have a wonderful mother-in-law. Janelle is so thoughtful. When Kelly was gone, she often invited me over for dinner which was a great change of scene. We also went out to eat together and had lots of fun. She is also a wonderful Grandma!

Happy Father's Day to Karl, Kelly's dad, too. He took me shooting for my first real time. I am excited to see what else Karl will take us to do that I have never done: fishing, Alaska, who knows? He is a great husband and father.

5 comments:

Kaitlin Hakes said...

So sweet Cassi! You do have wonderful parents! What a great post you worded it so well!

Carrie said...

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and your memories, Shasha. I really liked reading it!

Mama said...

Wow, Cassi, that was so sweet of you. Thank you! You are a special daughter and we love you! Mama and Dad read this too - which never would of but he was going out the door to work and I made him stop.:)

Kim Hakes said...

Thanks Shasha for all of the wonderful words and including such good memories in the pictures you attached. Sorry I'm so late doing this, but you should know this is the first time I've ever typed a response on a Blog spot...:)

Grandma Merrell said...

You're killing me here with the mush! I am sitting her crying and loving your blog. I can tell you are also a wonderful daughter. Randy and I went to Texas A&M with the woods and enjoyed living in Cruces with your Mom and Dad and getting to know the fam.